8870Re: [RedHotJazz] Accessibility on the Red Hot Jazz Archive

  • J. E. Knox
    Oct 29, 2011
      Greetings from FixitLand!

      Bob Smith wrote:

      > Some folks on another forum who are running Macs are having trouble
      > accessing individual recordings on the RHJ Archive site.
      >
      > I should be interested in hearing from anybody with a Mac on this
      > forum who can access individual recordings,
      >
      > All the Jelly Roll Morton recordings under his Solo Discography
      > that are printed in yellow are available on a PC, so I should be
      > very interested to hear from any Mac owner who can access these
      > recordings.

      For some time now, I have been unable to access any track on RHJ. The
      files are RealPlayer ".ra" files, which properly launch Real Player
      when double-clicked, but RP then reports "A general error has
      occurred." and it's game-over. I don't know whether this is a fault
      of Real Player or the site. Trying to download, for example, the
      following link --

      <http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/Oliver/Creole/canal.ra>

      -- returns a file "canal.ra.ram" (Real Audio Metafile). Does not open
      in Real Player (same error).

      I tried updating Real Player -- apparently "Version 14" is most
      current. But I cannot! The version that runs on my Mac (OS X 10.4.11
      "Tiger," on a PowerBook G4) is version 12, and the update attempt
      just reinstalled the same version. The upgrade site talks about
      Windows and peecees, so it appears the Mac version of RP has not
      (will not?) be updated!

      Not that I'm enthused at all about the use of the Real Audio
      format...MP3s would be better and much more ubiquitous.

      For that matter, the files (when they *were* accessible) varied
      widely in quality (mostly bad). I supplied some tracks (Jack Crawford
      Orchestra) to Scott Alexander, who promptly re-processed them,
      apparently through some kind of audio meat-grinder software.
      Absolutely horrible.

      Take care,

      Joe
      --
      "Two things are aesthetically perfect in the world -- the clock and
      the cat."--Emile Auguste Chartier