8853Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Armstrong in Copenhagen

    Sep 27, 2011
      I hesitate to put this forward without evidence but the notion that it was
      recorded in the concert hall on Friday 20 October, a day for which no public
      engagement is known, but without an audience, certainly fits all the known
      facts. This would amount to a film of a rehearsal I suppose. Or is Hagglof
      claiming that there was in fact an additional public performance on this
      date not reported by earlier sources?

      on 27/09/2011 17:25, kimpa1943 at k.altsund@... wrote:

      > According to cd Storyville 1018348 the film was recorded at Tivoli Concert
      > Hall, Copenhagen Oct 20 1933. Notes and tour schedule by wellknown
      > Armstrong-researcher Gosta Hagglof. The 3 nrs released in cleaned sound. /kim
      >
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      > Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > This is also Klaus Stratemann's view in 'Louis Armstrong On The Screen'. He
      >> > thinks the other performances in the film, by Roy Fox, Erik Tuxen, Teddy
      >> > Brown, and Lili Gyenes were also filmed in the studio, Fox and Brown in
      >> > London.
      >> >
      >> > Though Stratemann appears to accept the 21 October 1933 date, this is the
      >> > date of his first appearance at the Tivoli Concert Hall in Copenhagen. If
      >> > the footage was not in fact filmed there then presumably any date during
      >> > Armstrong's trip to Denmark is possible. He left London on 19 October and
      >> > apparently arrived at Copenhagen the same day. They seem to have had the
      >> > 20th off, appeared at the Tivoli on 21, 22, 23 October, then moved on to
      >> > Stockholm where they arrived on the 24th. There were two concerts on the
      >> > 21st and 22nd and three on the 23rd.

      >>> audience
      >>> positions,
      >>> section