8847Re: Buddy Bolden's righteous Uptown Bumps

  • silverleafjb
    Sep 25, 2011
      > 1. Why did Colyer titled it so?
      > 2. Is there a solid link between this and Buddy Bolden?
      > 3. Traces of the origin of the song?

      1. I don't think Colyer is responsible for the title; I believe he heard it referred to with that name when he was in New Orleans.
      2. No, but there is supposedly anecdotal evidence of Bolden playing "The Bucket's Got a Hole In It."
      3. It was published originally as the "Long Lost Blues," from either 1914 or 1917. It also shows up as part of a published medley of blues pieces called "A Bag of Blues."

      It can be found on RHJ by Trixie Smith as "Long Lost, Weary Blues" http://www.redhotjazz.com/trixiesmith.html

      Cheers,
      Chris
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic