8795Re: Noone on Oliver's Camp Meeting Blues

  • silverleafjb
    Aug 30, 2011
      ALAN BOND <alan_bond@...> wrote:
      snip> I would, however, disagree with the conclusions regarding Buster Bailey. His technical ability was far in advance of Noone's, as his work with Fletcher Henderson and John Kirby testifies.

      Not to be contentious, Alan, but you are referring to Bailey ten years later, in the context of Kirby and Henderson. And my original comment was:

      "Bailey was a capable clarinetist but he just didn't have the FEELING that Noone did."

      IMO Noone played with a much better "jazz" feel (for lack of a better term for it) than Bailey. Yes, Bailey had prodigious technique, but to me, I've never been able to stand the tone he got on the instrument. I'd rather hear a clarinetist with a nice tone and limited technique than someone with lots of technique. My feeling is technique is only a means to an end, not the end itself, and that goes for anyone playing any instrument.

      He did play metal clarinet but I don't think he ever played Albert. At least I've never seen a photo of him with an Albert.

      I also believe Noone took lessons from Franz Schoepp.

      Cheers,
      Chris
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic