8794Re: Noone on Oliver's Camp Meeting Blues

  • silverleafjb
    Aug 30, 2011
      snip> What I previously observed was that the unmistakable sweet sound -- tone --
      > of Noone is absent from the last three Columbia sides which were apparently
      > recorded on the day after the first side. And does anybody know the evidence
      > for this ? The acoustic and balance for these sides -- and the tone of the
      > clarinet -- certainly sound different.

      I'm going out on a limb here, but it is within the realm of possibility that Noone may have felt obligated to alter his sweet sound in favor of the more rugged sound of the Oliver band. I think there were two sides to Noone and his playing became sweeter the older he got.

      Cheers,
      Chris
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic