8791Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Noone on Oliver's Camp Meeting Blues

  • Nick Dellow
    Aug 30, 2011
      Charles Delaunay gives the recording date as "15/16 October 1923" in his
      discography, but it isn't clear from this if he means 15th AND 16th or 15th
      OR 16th. The Archeophone CD set states "circa" for both 15th and 16th, with
      "Chattanooga Stomp" on the 15th and "London (Cafe) Blues", "Camp Meeting
      Blues" and "New Orleans Stomp" on the 16th. This is also the case in the
      revised 'King Joe Oliver' by Laurie Wright, as well as the latest edition of
      Jazz Records (6th Edition).

      However, in the original edition of "King Joe Oliver" (Allen and Rust) the
      date given for all the sides is October 15th. Crucially, in the notes for
      this session there appears the following comment: "Recording date and
      rejected takes are from Columbia files". If this is the case, then why the
      change to 15th and 16th in Jazz Records?

      In the first and second editions of Jazz Records both "Chattanooga Stomp"
      and "London (Cafe) Blues" are stated to have been recorded on the 15th with
      "Camp Meeting Blues" and "New Orleans Stomp" on the 16th. Only by the third
      edition is "Chattanooga" on the 15th with the other three on the 16th.
      Nowhere does Brian Rust apply "circa", which I really think he should have
      done, as there was (and still is!) obviously a lack of consensus!

      Just to complicate matters, the first and second editions of Jazz Records
      gives Buster Bailey as being on all four of the Columbias, the third to
      fifth editions have "Buster Bailey or Jimmie Noone" for all four Columbias,
      and the sixth edition has Jimmie Noone on "Chattanooga" only with Bailey on
      the remaining three sides. In the original edition of "Joe King Oliver",
      there is no mention of Buster Bailey for the Columbia session; Jimmie Noone
      is assigned to all the Columbia sides.

      Incidentally, the differences in tone and balance between the first Columbia
      side ("Chattanooga") and the others does not necessarily mean that they must
      have been recorded on different days. There could have been a break on the
      same day while adjustments to the recording equipment and studio settings
      were made. The fact that no less than seven masters following "Chattanooga"
      were rejected ("Junk Man Blues" takes 1 to 3, and "London Blues" takes 1 to
      4) certainly suggests some sort of problem with the equipment and/or
      instrument balance.

      The notes in "King Joe Oliver" (Allen and Rust) also state that "Preston
      Jackson once said (Down Beat, Nov 1, 1942) that Oliver used Noone and Atkins
      on one date, and this is evidently it; the trombone is certainly not Dutrey
      so is likely to be Atkins. The clarinet is not Dodds; WR once played this
      for Dodds, who said it was not himself. Noone admitted being on one side
      (Jazz Information, II:16) and can be identified by ear (Hughes Panassi�, WR,
      John D.R. Wheater, Brian A.L. Rust, Walter C. Allen, Charles Delaunay, Dave
      Stuart, Gene Williams). Noone is said to have both identified and disclaimed
      his presence on hearing these records." If Brian Rust is sure it is Noone
      here, then why the change to Buster Bailey for all four Columbias in Jazz
      Records?

      According to Rex Harris and Max Jones in Collector's Corner (Melody Maker,
      1947), "It is known that Oliver was angry with Dodds (or some say he used a
      different personnel because he was recording for Columbia) and took Jimmy
      Noone in his place. He may have used Ed Atkins too, instead of Dutrey."

      My own view is that Buster Bailey is the clarinettist on "London Blues",
      "Camp Meeting Blues" and "New Orleans Stomp" and possibly on all four sides.
      I have prepared a sound clip comparing the clarinet solo in "Camp Meeting
      Blues" with a clip from a known Bailey side - "Squeeze Me" � one of the solo
      sides he recorded for Banner in May 1925. Allowing for the gap of 19 months,
      and the different studios, these sound like they could very well be the work
      of the same man (at least to my ears). The vibrato (the best sonic
      fingerprint in my view) is all but identical. Of course, early Bailey
      clarinet is quite different from the later, thinner toned (and flashier)
      solos he recorded with Henderson. Part of the reason for the difference in
      tone between early and later Bailey is, I think, that the earlier Bailey was
      playing an Albert system clarinet, which of course produces a "woodier"
      sound.

      If anyone would like an mp3 of this sound comparison file, please email me
      and I will send it to them.

      Nick