      From: Howard Rye <howard@...>
      Subject: Re: R: [RedHotJazz] Sources on Pre War European Jazz
      To: "red hot jazz" <RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, March 17, 2011, 10:53 AM

      Yes, let¹s us say in fairness that Godbolt¹s second book is much better

      because he was an eye and ear witness of many of the events he recounts. I¹d

      go so far as to say it is indispensible to anyone wanting to understand

      British trad. So probably is Jim¹s autobiography, though I have never read

      it, having been throroughly put off by the Storyville review!

      However, these are primary sources rather than what our enquirer was

      apparently seeking.

      Vorzanger¹s band is in Rust. The records are variable and anyone is at

      liberty to regard them or anything else as of merely historical importance,

      but history is what we are talking about here. Vorzanger himself was

      certainly not a jazz musician. He continued to provide music for bar

      mitzvahs and weddings from his Whitechapel base well into the 50s, long

      after his brief flirtation with jazz. Curiously he continued to appear in

      the London Phone Book as a band contractor until 1959. Curiously, because he

      died in 1957. Assumably someone carried the business on for a bit. The band

      on Scala was not really his band. It was the band from Moody¹s Club and its

      real leader was the African-American trombonist Ellis Jackson, later a

      pillar of Billy Cotton¹s band. (Have you heard the 1936 sessions by Billy

      Cotton¹s Cotton Pickers? Well worth seeking out.) There isa film made at

      Moodyt¹s (unfortunately silent) showing the band in action.