      From: David Brown <johnhaleysims@...>
      Subject: RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Instrumentation similar to the KOCJB
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011, 2:59 AM

      Hello Serapion

      Wisdom there. Yes, Natty/Mitchell are much freer, less disciplined. But
      glorious.

      The idea that Oliver imported Louis to save his chops definitely runs, it
      certainly did in later years with increasing technical problems.

      But on the records Oliver seldom takes down, there are very few actual
      solos, certainly from Louis.

      Of course, it could always be that 'live' it was otherwise but reports of
      the band stress the magical interplay between Oliver and Armstrong.

      I don't really believe that Oliver wanted to keep Louis down. But Oliver
      does comes over as rather enigmatic, both generous and tight like that, both
      jolly and dour.

      I like to think that the glory of the double cornet front line attests to
      the musical creativity and originality of Oliver.

      I forgot to mention that the very first Euro revival band, that of George
      Webb in 1943, also used two cornets.