8285Re: [RedHotJazz] Goldkette band and McKinney's Cotton Pickers

    Jan 24, 2011
      on 24/01/2011 15:32, David Brown at johnhaleysims@... wrote:

      > More importantly perhaps is what the fact that these sides have been in
      > dispute for over 70 years has to say for racial theories of jazz history.
      >
      > Dave

      Not really, Dave, just a little local difficulty in their application.
      Traditions don¹t cease to exist because they overlap at times.

      No one doubts that there are separate white and black traditions in the
      string band music of the American South, but there are dozens of records
      (many more than in jazz) which taken in isolation could hardly be assigned
      with confidence to one tradition or the other, though there are not many
      bands which recorded any significant number of sides where it is not obvious
      which tradition they belong to. This comes about for a lot of reasons, black
      bands played in white styles to extract change from white passers by, white
      bands played in black styles when they wanted to sound down and dirty,
      people copied records or performances which particularly appealed to them,
      and many more.

      You could perfectly well substitute jazz in the above. The Goldkette and
      McKinney bands are easy to distinguish ninety per cent of the time (well 98%
      actually) and the differences are due in part to their different cultural
      heritages. The occasions when perhaps the Goldkette band played a Don Redman
      arrangement in the McKinney manner, or McKinney¹s played a Goldkette
      arrangement because the audience they were playing for asked for it, or
      whatever, isn¹t that significant.

      I do not want to enter the main controversy, nor will I until I find out
      what Don Redman actually said, rather than what Daniel Nevers reported that
      Charles Delaunay said he said. I have done a lot of looking for this, and so
      has Nick Dellow to my certain knowledge, and neither of us has any axe to
      grind, which is not true of Delaunay or Nevers.

      I¹m afraid I have provisionally concluded that Delaunay conveniently took
      this information to the grave. But his papers are in the Bibliothèque
      Nationale, where they are not very accessible to anyone other than French
      academics. Someone could go and look at them. Maybe the actual interview
      transcript there.