8117Re: Johnny Dodds

  • Robert
    Jun 23, 2010
      …oh and there's an anthology on Upbeat that includes his last recordings and regarding which I dutifully contributed a rave review for New Orleans Music magazine when it came out a couple of years ago. It's great because it's Dodds, but infuriating because it's an anthology and as such can't be recommended over the more scholarly issues on Frog, Retrieval, Black Swan, Archaeophone, and Timeless.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <robertgreenwood_54uk@...> wrote:

      > The King Oliver Original Creole Jazz Band sides recorded for Gennett and Okeh in 1923, best found now on an Archaeophone double CD with near-miraculous sound quality.
      > You should also look into the two Dodds CDs on Black Swan that cover various sides he made for Paramount, and the CD on Retrieval that covers the NO Bootblacks, Wanderers, etc.
      > Robert Greenwood

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic