8069Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: New photograph of the young Louis (aged 12)?

  • Nick Dellow
    May 31, 2010
      Regarding the hats in the photo (which are called cloche hats), a few days
      ago I did a bit of digging online and found the following statement in a
      website on fashions from different eras:

      "The cloche hat was not confined to the 1920s as is often first thought. It
      was fashionable from 1908 to 1933"

      The fashion for these hats started in Paris and it is, I would think, likely
      that the fashion would have not have spread too far beyond this and other
      such trend-setting centres of fashion.

      Of course, there are many photographs of women (black as well as white)
      wearing cloche hats in the 1920s but I have yet to see a photo that predates
      the 1920s in which even a white women is wearing one! Incidentally, around
      1927 ladies started to wear the hats with the rim turned up. You learn
      something new everyday!