8061New photograph of the young Louis (aged 12)?

  • Robert
    May 25, 2010
      I've just obtained a copy of Tom Morgan's book Historic Photographs of New Orleans Jazz. It's a largely unremarkable and disappointing book, possibly aimed at the tourist market, and containing nothing startling or fresh apart from one photograph on page 10 of the child Louis in a group photograph as part of the band at the Coloured Waifs' Home. No, not the photograph we all know that shows a confident and somewhat pugnacious young man already looking over the heads of his confreres and seeing far into the distance, but another one that I certainly have never seen before. Or is this photograph better-known than I think? The source is given as the New Orleans Historic Collection.

      Robert Greenwood
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic