7986Re: [RedHotJazz] Frog Spawn RE: PAUL DAVIS matrix# 18910 .. and matrix #18911

    Feb 24 3:18 AM
      I have now got hold of the Gennett ledger sheet relating to this session.

      It offers no support for the seductive notion that this may be the Jimmy
      Raschel band under pseudonym. The Raschel masters are clearly marked ³Race²,
      the Davis masters are not. This is not absolutely conclusive because this is
      a marketing assignment not a cultural one. 99% of the time this will
      coincide but it is not a necessary relationship.

      What is apparently conclusive is the arrival of the first volume of Richard
      J. Johnson & Bernard Shirley¹s ³American Dance Bands on Records and Film
      1915-1942² (Fairplay, CO, Rustbooks, 2010). This reveals what no one has
      apparently ever bothered to mention before. This was Davis¹s first session
      and is the only one in Jazz Records. The band actually made thirteen more
      sessions for Gennett up to 29 July 1933, producing twenty-eight more issued
      titles. Nineteen of these were issued in a special series for use at skating
      rinks. Most of these are waltzes, so are many of the others though there is
      a version of Shuffle Off To Buffalo on Champion 16591.

      Not only that, but Johnson and Shirley have a personnel for the band from
      December 1931, which is nearly a year before Black & Tan.

      I think we have to accept that this is an amazingly idiomatic reading of an
      arrangement by a white territory band which usually spent its time in other
      areas of music entirely.

      Incidentally there is no doubt that the Jimmy Raschel band were
      African-Americans. These are not pseudonymous Davis items. I have several
      personnels of Raschel¹s band and they include known names like the great
      Chicago drummer Hillard Brown.

      It is not inconceivable that Davis might have hired the Raschel band to
      produce idimomatic versions of this material and issued it under the name of
      his own band, but there is no supporting evidence for this theory and what
      evidence there is is against it. To completely rule out skullduggery on
      somebody¹s part, we need to hear Davis¹s ŒUnderneath The Harlem Moon¹.
      Anyone seen it around?