7878Re: [RedHotJazz] Edith Wilson

    Dec 1, 2009
      Brunswick 4685 allegedly exists in two distinct couplings using E-31558/9,
      recorded about 19 November 1929, and E-31585/6, recorded about 22 November
      1929.

      Rust shows only one of these sessions in any of the editions I have (3rd,
      5th, 6th). Rust 3 lists only E-31585/6, Rust 5 & 6 list only E-31558/9,
      having treated the report of these masters (by Frank Dutton from the
      Brunswick files), as a correction rather than an addition, assuming no doubt
      that 31558/31585 are a metathesis and ignoring the other masters. We show
      both sessions correctly in Blues & Gospel Records.

      Rust¹s personnel appeared first in the 4th edition, but it doesn¹t look like
      names anyone would have presumed to identify aurally so I guess one of the
      alleged participants made a claim that someone related to this record.
      Earlier discographies, knowing only of E-31585/6, have personnel unknown.

      I don¹t know what the evidence is that there are really alternative versions
      on Brunswick 4685. The information came from Frank Dutton and may therefore
      come from Brunswick file data. I have certainly not knowingly heard two
      versions of either title.

      I think all reissues probably use E-31585/6. It would be worth comparing the
      Archeophone with Document DOCD5451. Archeophone appear unaware of the
      alternative versions. Manaña.