7865Re: Clarence Williams

  • hans.eekhoff
    Nov 23, 2009
      Max Vreede had the original issue as well as a Paramount test with different takes of these on each side. At the time (late 60's) the general consensus was Fats on piano and Louis Metcalfe trumpet.
      They did those numbers in a stage show with Fats; hence the suggestion that he was on these sides.
      However, Max didn't think it was Fats - and I agree; it doesn't really sound like him. I don't know enough of Metcalfe's playing to venture an opinion.
      Hans Eekhoff

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...> wrote:

      > The two titles in question are "What Do You Know About That?" and "Shut Your Mouth", recorded for Paramount around January 1927. They have been reissued twice recently: one take of each title is on the "Big Charlie THomas" CD on Timeless CBC-1-030 and two takes of each on the JSP Complete Fats Waller set Box 1.
      >
      > Although there is a great deal of surface noise on the records, I do indeed hear a banjo quite distincly along with the piano, although he neither solos nor plays noticable embellishments.
      >
      > Michael Rader

      > > Could you provide the name of the tune and under which name it was
      > > recorded (and perhaps a link if it is not on the RHJA ?
      > > From: kbrau44 <kbrau44@...>
      >
      > > Subject: [RedHotJazz] Clarence Williams
      > > Let´s start with: Vocal duet Cl.
      > > Williams - Joe Sims of Jan. 1927: I hear a bjo together with cnt and
      > > pno. What do you hear and think? Please, listen and let me know! K-B

      > Preisknaller: WEB.DE DSL Flatrate für nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
      > http://produkte.web.de/go/02/

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic