7774Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: BUDDY CHRISTIAN CREOLE FIVE

    Oct 15, 2009
      This provoked me into digitizing my very old file on Leon Abbey¹s British
      stays (that old) and I can add one more detail about Charlie Johnson.

      Abbey was a notorious poacher of other people¹s bands and the band he
      poached for his British trip was Bill Brown¹s Brownies, so we can be sure
      that it is the same Charles Johnson on their 17 March 1927 Vocalion, but the
      file card (which is reproduced in VJM 119) gives no personnel information.

      The Abbey band¹s main British gig was at the Olympia Dance Hall, which had
      three bandstands. The others were occupied by Herman Darewski¹s band and
      Gwen Rogers¹ Musical Dolls. I still have no idea who the Musical Dolls were,
      not that I¹ve tried very hard to find out, but they didn¹t take part in any
      of the broadcasts made by the other two bands.