      From: David Brown <johnhaleysims@...>
      Subject: RE: [RedHotJazz] Oh no, not Flo again
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, September 14, 2009, 5:12 AM

      Nice to have 'Flo' back. I recently alighted upon the Clarence sides of 27

      April 1927 with Katherine Henderson, recorded 11 days after 'Flo'. Can there

      be any doubt aurally that the clarinet on 'Flo' is the same man Rusted on

      the Henderson as Arville and who -- more circumstantial evidence here --

      doubles tenor ? I also cite the clarinet solo on the Clarence Blue 5 'Old

      Folks Shuffle', recorded 2 days before 'Flo', as the same man -- Arville.

      I have only been able to hear the Bradford OKehs on RHJ but even so am

      convinced this is NOT the same player but one with more staccato phrasing in

      Shields style. However, the playing here is not anomalous with the most

      exposed supposed King I have found, the South 'Marchetta' of 27 Sept 1931.

      However, again, the placement of King on the South sides for a period of

      over 5 years from 1929 seems problematic and I'm not at all convinced it is

      the same player throughout.