7686Re: [RedHotJazz] Frog Spawn - a first opinion

    Sep 13, 2009
      Thank you for that reassurance, Nick. Sometimes comparing takes can make you
      doubt your sanity.

      According to Index to Jazz the Franko personnel was supplied by Eugene
      Williams, which doesn¹t really tell us the source, and he named Omer Simeon
      as the clarinettist and Fred Howard on tenor sax. Later the presence of an
      alto sax was noticed and Rust 3 has only one reed player (Howard, clarinet
      and alto sax). The alto sax was evidently identified as Leon Washington by
      the man himself in Record Research 99. I don¹t seem to have this but my
      notes from it at least imply that he confirmed the rest of the personnel as
      now quoted. It would be good to check though.

      on 13/09/2009 16:02, Nick Dellow at nick.dellow@... wrote:

      > Howard, I don't think you are going potty; I also hear "ain't" rather than
      > "weren't".
      >
      > Incidentally, the timbre of the sax heard under Punch's solo and vocal in
      > "Golden Lily Blues" sounds like that of a soprano, at least to my ears (even
      > though the notes played are well within the range of the alto sax);
      > however, the instrument featured after Cohn's piano solo is an alto sax! The
      > soprano sax is heard again towards the end of the side, as is a clarinet,
      > and by my reckoning the last two-bar riff is played in unison by cornet,
      > clarinet and soprano sax (with brass bass and cymbal adding the punctuation
      > marks!)
      >
      > Presumably, the clarinet is played by Fred Howard, as suggested by Rust in
      > the 4th (and earlier?) edition of Jazz Records, though oddly omitted in
      > later editions!
      >
      > Nick
      >
      > 2009/9/13 Howard Rye <howard@...
      > <mailto:howard%40coppermill.demon.co.uk> >
      >

      >> > Okay, I know the provence of the modern belief that Arthur Ray is playing
      >> > an
      >> > accordion. But does anyone know of any other record in or out of jazz on
      >> > which an accordion sounds like this?
      >> >
      >> > These records have been known to collectors since forever and the
      >> > instrument
      >> > has always been listed as an organ. Perhaps this could just possibly be
      >> > because the labels of Vocalion 14913 state quite unambiguously ³organ and
      >> > cornet².
      >> >
      >> > I can¹t help thinking this is a solution in search of a problem.
      >> >
      >> > Just out of interest, are these the earliest jazz records that were not
      >> > primarily marketed for dancing? For they surely cannot have been aimed at
      >> > home dancers, can they? They are music intended for listening.
      >> >
      >> > I mean to try and describe the differences between the versions if I don¹t
      >> > go completely mad first, but the notes to DGF71 claim the Pathé version not
      >> > the Vocalion, and I think we have previously established that the Vocalion
      >> > version is on EPM (tracks 1 & 2).
      >> >
      >> > By the by, I don¹t think Frog are right that the version of Golden Lily
      >> > Blues on which the first line of the vocal is ³Well, standing on Garfield,
      >> > mama, near blue El² rather than ³Well, standing on Garfield, mama, near the
      >> > El² is issued here for the first time. I already have two takes and the
      >> > ³blue El² version is on Herwin H108 from the Klatzko/Whelan Collection. On
      >> > the other hand I can¹t hear on any version the other difference noted by
      >> > Richard Rains in the DGF71 notes, ³weren¹t that some good news² rather than
      >> > ³ain¹t that some good news².
      >> > Am I going potty or is something more complicated occurring here. Nick?
      >> >
      >> > on 11/09/2009 14:38, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@...
      >> > on
      >> > accordion,
      >> > sides