7683Re: [RedHotJazz] Frog Spawn - a first opinion

  • Nick Dellow
    Sep 13, 2009
      Howard, I don't think you are going potty; I also hear "ain't" rather than
      "weren't".

      Incidentally, the timbre of the sax heard under Punch's solo and vocal in
      "Golden Lily Blues" sounds like that of a soprano, at least to my ears (even
      though the notes played are well within the range of the alto sax);
      however, the instrument featured after Cohn's piano solo is an alto sax! The
      soprano sax is heard again towards the end of the side, as is a clarinet,
      and by my reckoning the last two-bar riff is played in unison by cornet,
      clarinet and soprano sax (with brass bass and cymbal adding the punctuation
      marks!)

      Presumably, the clarinet is played by Fred Howard, as suggested by Rust in
      the 4th (and earlier?) edition of Jazz Records, though oddly omitted in
      later editions!

      Nick