7572Re: Arnett Nelson

  • scottlededoo
    Jul 30, 2009
      Re Arnett Nelson

      I have been away or otherwise occupied since I first enrolled in RedHotJazz and have only just looked at it again so am referring back to a rather old topic (which featured some of my earlier scratchings) but find I have some new things to say on the subject.

      Firstly, my view that Nelson is on the King Mutts has come under question due to the allegations in Jazz Records 5 that Mutt Carton and Ed Boudreaux are the trumpet and clarinettist involved – an allegation that has an entirely clandestine provenance though apparently emanating from the late John R.T. Davies – Malcolm Shaw is no wiser that I am. Definitive evidence is urgently required but frustratingly elusive. Boudreaux is intriguing because he also has in common with Nelson an association with Tommy Ladnier and Roy Palmer in 1923 but is otherwise a figure of mystery whom our genealogists have so far failed to pin down. It is good, on the other hand, to know the true background of Nelson – not New Orleans as we had assumed from Lee Collins's recollection.

      I am currently working on a book entitled Chicago Swingers in which Arnett Nelson is heavily featured in a blues band context and am pretty familiar with the various eccentricities of his style. I have little doubt, by admittedly only aural comparison with adjacent sessions where he is pretty well established, that he is present on both Casey Bill's Round And Round sessions – but the earlier version has in fact two clarinets in the final chorus, the other being almost certainly Bill Owsley who plays tenor sax elsewhere in the session. Owsley was beginning to take over the reed duties on these Vocalion and Bluebird recordings, often playing clarinet on one number and sax on the other. His clarinet is rather thin and anonymous but his tenor is very robust and full of character, ideal for the blues style of the later thirties.