      From: Patrice Champarou <patrice.champarou@...>
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:06:02 AM
      Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] looking for song identity

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Michael Rader"

      > Maybe it does have other origins, but it's a rhumba recorded several times
      > under
      > the name of "Mama Inez", and I'm sure I have it by a hot dance band
      > featuring
      > Benny Goodman. A search on Google first produces a version by Maurice
      > Chevalier ;-).

      That must be the one, I found 26 versions on eMusic, and it's very likely
      that the Cajun Mama Rosin was a corruption (with a simplified bridge), since
      one of the 26 has the altenative title "Oh don José" (and "José" with
      Spanish pronunciation is very close to a de-nasalized "Rosin")
      Anyway, here's a gorgeous clip, to check it is the same song as the one
      which starts at 4:54
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcIRwsmwuw

      Finding an online version of Mama Rosin is more difficult, all related
      videos are deceiving and don't provide the original melody.
      All I found was a sample by Nathan Abshire from the French page
      http://www.virginmega.fr/musique/fiches/titre.aspx?product_id=103302100
      (click on the loudspeaker in the middle to listen ("Ecouter") if the page is
      not automatically translated)