6615RE: [RedHotJazz] Keep The Spoon Out Of Your Cup was Button Up Your Overquote

    Feb 5, 2009
      Hello Gilbert

      Always nice to hear from you especially as you were there whereas we only
      have the records and the books.

      What do you make of Uptown clarinet style ? Did it still exist -- assuming
      it ever did exist -- in your time in N.O. and if so what players ?

      You are spot on about N.O. clarinet players and blues and this could be
      extended to N.O. players generally.

      I know we discussed the wonderful Ray Burke before and your report of him
      listening to PWR. I had assumed he admired PWR but that is apparently not
      the case ?

      Yes, technique -- proper technique -- is stressed as paramount in accounts
      of early N.O. 'Illegitimate' tone was not prized maybe until Oliver whose
      use of mutes seems to have been widely admired. And maybe here we have the
      reason why Dodds left about no legacy in N.O.