6502Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Choro (was Re Argentinian jazz from 1926)

  • Danilo Nogueira
    Dec 23, 2008
      Glad to be of help, David.

      A curiosity that may make things clearly for you and other people who
      may have an interest in things Brazilian: "Forró", originally, is an
      informal dance party in the rural Northeast. It is said—although there
      is no clear evidence to prove it—that the word stems from the English
      "for all", meaning a "dance party for all". It is said that British
      companies in the Northeast used to have separate parties for 'the good
      families" and "for all", which, in practice, meant, "for the working
      classes", since no self-respecting member of the aristocracy would mix
      with manual laborers. The British companies and the practice
      disappeared a long time agor, but until, say, the 1990's, "informal
      dance party for the common people" was the only meaning of the word.
      Several kinds of music are played in forrós (but choros are
      practically unknown in that part of the country) but a specific type
      of music also called forró evolved in those dances.

      An early form is found here: http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=0vwgxHmGrWo

      The leather hats are part of the cultural identity of the Northeastern
      man. Luiz Gonzaga emcees and asks Dominguinhos, who was back from an
      Italian tour, if he had played the real thing over there in Europe or
      had "sophisticated it a bit". Dominguinhos claims he played it like it
      is and proceeds to give a demonstration.

      And now, I will keep my big Brazilian mouth shut for a while.
      Apologies for the invasion.

      Danilo

      [note from moderator : it's more than OK, Danilo, come back any time ;-)
      A merry Christmas to all group-members - Patrice ]

      --
      Danilo Nogueira -São Bernardo Bra(s/z)il