6501Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Choro (was Re Argentinian jazz from 1926)

  • David Richoux
    Dec 23, 2008
      Danilo,

      Thanks for the links and clarification on the (non) relationship of
      Choro and Forró - I was in a difficult e-mail conversation a few years
      ago with a young forró musician who had recently moved to the USA and
      I got that part wrong!

      I think Choro is interesting, not only in the parallel (but
      different) relationship to the way ragtime and jazz developed, but
      because it is improvised, popular dance music that was played by
      amateur and semi-professional musicians and was later
      "professionalized" by more skilled musicians. I am still reading and
      learning more about this music - I had happened to find a Pixinguinha
      collection CD when my band was touring in Brazil and I have been
      intrigued by the music ever since.

      David Richoux

      On Dec 22, 2008, at 7:09 PM, Danilo Nogueira wrote:

      > Strange finding comments on Pixinguinha's music here (by the way,
      > pronounce it Pee-sheen-GHI-nyah) and choro music. Choro, like
      > traditional jazz, has never disappeared and has gone through more than
      > one revival.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic