      From: rogerstrong257 <roger@...>
      Subject: [RedHotJazz] Re: Frankie Newton
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 12:54 AM

      Thanks for that. I have much of the material that you mention. the
      sides for Bluebird had Newton,Mezz, Pete Brown,James P.Johnson,Al
      Casey,John Kirby, and Cozy Cole. There are a couple of CDs around but
      they tend to repeat the same sides. One is on Archives of Jazz and
      the other on the Afinity label.
      I wouldn't have said that Artie Shaw was a Marxist and I'm not
      sure that he ever said he was. Newton's politics do seem to have been
      far left but just how far left is hard to determine at this stage. I
      would have doubted that McCarthy would have been interested ina
      rather obscure jazz musician-he had bigger prey. It's this and his
      painting as well as the pretty sparse material from people who
      actually knew him that interests me most.

      Roger Strong

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogro ups.com, Dan Van Landingham
      <danvanlandingham@ ...> wrote:

      > Regarding Frankie Newton:He had done a tour of duty(so to speak)
      with Mills' Blue Rhythm
      > band in 1937.I had an album I bought back in 1971 that featured
      Mezz Mezzrow on clari-
      > net plus Pete Brown on alto.I've forgotten the personnel of the
      band save the fact that it
      > recorded for Bluebird in 1939.Newton employed singer Billie
      Holiday  in late 1938.She was
      > with Newton until 1939.
      >      Newton was remembered by some musicians as being an ardent
      Marxist:Artie Shaw
      > and Newton were believers in Marxism.I don't know if McCarthy ever
      latched onto him in
      > his witchhunt which ended in 1954.Newton died that year in his
      late '40s.
      >      The album I spoke of was a "revived" Vintage Series which
      never got rave reviews but
      > it didn't save the series from being a success.Columbia, back in the
      early '60s,released a
      > great boxed set which featured a batch of bands I had never heard
      before.It included early
      > recordings which included Newton,Stuff Smith,Charlie Barnet pre
      1939,a few tracks of J-
      > ack Teagarden's 1939 band plus tracks of Bobby Hackett's
      equally unsuccessful 1939
      > band.Also featured on the album were some 1940 Bud Freeman sides I
      had on album cal-
      > led Comes Jazz which featured Teagarden's trombone plus Dave Tough
      on drums.The
      > boxed set I had was called 52nd Street which was  issued on Epic
      circa 1962.There was
      > so much odd ball stuff I had never heard before or since.It seems
      to me that the album was
      > sold by way of Ray Anthony's record shop.If I do anything,I'll
      check out and see if ebay
      > has it on CD.The name of Anthony's record shop was called Big
      Bands '80s.This should