6446Re: [RedHotJazz] Query about King Oliver & His Orchestra

    Nov 17, 2008
      This has been worked over too often to arouse much enthusiasm I¹m afraid. We
      don¹t know. We never will know.

      The Frog personnel is probably the one speculated by Laurie Wright on the
      basis of the personnel Oliver was assembling for a forthcoming tour and
      various interview data.

      He also thinks it is Morton aurally but Morton consistently over many years
      denied that he ever worked with Oliver. Fred Skerritt identified himself,
      and named Elkins, Morton, Barnes, Wheeler, Nipton and Moore. There is other
      more nebulous stuff from Clyde Bernhardt who said he was meant to be a
      second trombonist but Oliver failed to contact him in time. He also
      identified Morton and said the pianist was Henry Duncan.

      The solo charts attribute the wa wa solo on Sugar to Oliver.

      Don¹t understand the puzzle about Sugar Blues. Clyde McCoy recorded his
      definitive corn version for Columbia on 22 January 1931. Brunswick were
      covering it with a cheap band.