6412Re: Frankie Newton

  • rogerstrong257
    Oct 25, 2008
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, yves francois <aprestitine@...>
      wrote:

      > Roger
      > ... please give me a couple of days, I will write some detailed
      information re: Newton, I have a full discography* etc, and can get
      any information you want that is available, Newton happens to be one
      of my all time favorite musicians (Lips Page is the other post
      Armstrong trumpet I like as much, though several others were also
      great), I will respond with quite a bit of data by Monday
      > all the best (and I will check some sources re: his paintings I am
      very interested as well re his art)
      > BTW he did a lot of teaching under privileged students trumpet
      lessons ... for free, he was a very principled man, I will also list
      some articles, share antidotes from Franz Jackson as well (who played
      with him in Boston in 1943) etc
      > Yves Francois Smierciak
      >
      > Yves
      Thanks in anticipation! I have always thought that there was a
      very vivid character behind the music-a man with many different
      facets to his character and talents and man who died much too young
      as well. Look forward to your reply when ever you have time.

      Roger
      > * I will also list what items in a recent CD reissue are NOT solos
      by Mr Newton

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic