6282Re: shopworn sentimentalism (was Bob Fuller musicians and recording)

  • Tommer
    Sep 6, 2008
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Bob Mates <bluesbob@...> wrote:

      > One could even bring racism into the discussion, because many
      > people figured that black folks were supposed to be happy, happy,
      > happy. By the way, while briefly on the subject of racism, it's
      > interesting and very sad to note that many of the jazz clubs, who
      > regularly hired black jazz musicians, wouldn't allow them to
      > patronize with the white customers.

      Louis Armstrong was surfacing always happy, smiling, laughing, and
      also, Louis didn't care to abandon hot music and become sweeter with
      the times going by. But Louis Armstrong will forever be a great
      musician. Was Fats Waller was influenced by Armstrong's charisma,
      (and not just the singing style)?

      Bob, what does it mean to patronize with the white customers?

      I also wonder whether there were "uncle tom" accusations against Fats
      Waller. There were such at Louis Armstrong.
      Tommer
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic