6272re: [RedHotJazz] Re: shopworn sentimentalism (was Bob Fuller musicians and recording)

  • Bob Mates
    Sep 5, 2008
      Well, it just goes back to what I said before. Obviously, Fats
      would have wanted to play "serious" music, but that's not what
      the public wanted, and, after all they're the ones who paid him.
      One could even bring racism into the discussion, because many
      people figured that black folks were supposed to be happy, happy,
      happy. By the way, while briefly on the subject of racism, it's
      interesting and very sad to note that many of the jazz clubs, who
      regularly hired black jazz musicians, wouldn't allow them to
      patronize with the white customers. Apparently, George Brunies,
      the trombonist, was an absolute out-and-out racist. I wonder
      where he thought the music he loved to play came from. Back to
      Fats: Fats's organ playing was much more serious than was a lot
      of his piano playing. I think "Jitterbug Waltz" was ahead of its
      time. Of course, if it's serious playing you're looking for,
      listen to "London Suite".
      Just briefly, it occurs to me that, if you believe the 1890 birth
      date for Jelly Roll, you're going to have to scramble and come up
      with a lot of new dates for his compositions.
      Sorry to make a long post like this. Take care, everyone. Bob
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic