6267Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Jelly Roll Morton's birthdate

    Sep 5, 2008
      I haven't yet checked "Storyville" for the articles Howard mentioned, but the extract from the baptismal register seems to be a scan of the original rather than a more recent transcript. The article says that Gushee obtained this photocopy later than the certificate of baptism, so that, contrary to Gaines/Reich's assertion, he did indeed pursue the matter further.

      Since Jelly's mother was born in 1871, a 1885 date of birth seems unlikely. Even so, Peter Hanley admits the possibilty that Jelly's birthdate might have been earlier than 1890, depending on how worried his parent(s) were about having an unbaptised infant.

      Michael Rader

      > I understand that Prof. Gushee sent Mike Meddings some scans for the
      > website of various documents to do with Morton's baptism. These can
      > be viewed (you might have to copy and paste the URL) at,
      >
      > http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/page10.html#ancest
      >
      > Further down that page is a link to a section of "An Essay in
      > Genealogy" that might also be of interest. Thank you.
      >
      > Marco Romano.

      In 5 Schritten zur eigenen Homepage. Jetzt Domain sichern und gestalten!
      Nur 3,99 EUR/Monat! http://www.maildomain.web.de/?mc=021114
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic