6247RE: [RedHotJazz] shopworn sentimentalism (was Bob Fuller musicians and recording)

  • Bob Mates
    Sep 3, 2008
      It just goes to prove that, more than any other form of music,
      jazz is an outgrowth of the performer's personality. Billie's
      songs were full of emotion, because her whole life was that way.
      Her love songs were kind of her cry for love. Louis loved the
      schmultzy stuff; making you believe it was part of the
      performance. From what I've read about Fats, he didn't really
      take any music very seriously, except church music and classical
      music. Everything else was fair game. Some say he took away
      from his ability, but I don't know. I think he pulled you in
      with the humor, and then, when you were hooked, made you realize
      what a truly great performer and musician he was. Remember: he
      wasn't playing for the purists, but for the public. I had a lot
      of Fats stuff on vinyl, but it's back in Pittsburgh. Someday, I
      hope to get it up here, to Grand Rapids. Take care, everyone.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic