6246RE: [RedHotJazz] shopworn sentimentalism (was Bob Fuller musicians and recording)

    Sep 3, 2008
      I love Fats but he demeaned the great songs along with the dross. Compare
      with, for instance, Billie who enhanced the dross as well as the great
      songs. Or with Louis who delivered the utmost dross with such sincerity you
      believe it -- almost.

      I think Waller's legacy would be even greater had he respected more both his
      material and his own ability to transcend it.