6242Re: [RedHotJazz] shopworn sentimentalism (was Bob Fuller musicians and recording)

    Sep 2, 2008
      From: "Howard Rye"

      The original French is: Sa façon de chanter les mélodies les plus tendres
      d¹un air goguenard qui ridiculise le sentimentalisme de bazar sous lequel
      s¹étiole le vrai coeur de monde. (His [Fats¹s] way of singing the tenderest
      melodies in a jeering tone which ridicules the dime store sentimentalism
      with which the true heart of the world is being weakened.....) This is my
      translation not Schaap¹s. Whatever its defects, mine at least makes sense in
      English, whereas I have no idea what Schaap thought he meant by ³the sort of
      showy sentimentality that ridicules withering².

      Native speaker (and born hair-splitter) confirms, maybe the shortcut looks
      cute but assuming it means anything at all, I wonder how he managed to link
      it to the rest of the sentence. If you just keep the main words, the
      structure is definitely "Fat's way of singing/ridicules/sentimentalism", any
      substitution woud be a confusion.

      P.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic