6177Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Jejo/Jari

    Aug 7 11:11 AM
      Thanks, Howard, for the lead.

      There is an article on Abbey in "Storyville 73" by Ralph Gulliver which draws heavily on Dean, who say Jejo as good with the potential for greatness. He died of appendicitis.

      Rex Stewart quotes Harry Carney as a particular admirer of Jejo's (he also play baritone sax), although Demas Dean says Otto Mikell played the baritone sax solos and that Jejo was responsible for the clarinet. The Abbey band arrived in Rio de Janiero on 25 May 1927, which means that Jejo/Jari could have been on any of the Clarence Williams recordings before May 1927.

      Jejo was also in the band for Lew Leslie's Blackbirds of 1928. His section mates also had latin-American names - Albert Socarras and Raymond Or Ramon) Usera. The third member of the Bearcats reed section was tenor saxist/clarinetist Ramon Hernandez - which indicates a concentration of Caribbean reed players in New York in the 1920s.

      Michael Rader