6176Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Jejo/Jari

    Aug 7 10:12 AM
      Believe it or not, Carmelo Jari has a draft registration on file, done at
      San Juan, Puerto Rico on 5 July 1917. It is in Spanish.
      He is 22, born at Manati, PR, 16 July 1894, living at 12 Boulevard San Juan.
      He says he is a U.S. Citizen.
      His profession is ³Músico² and he is employed by the Ayuntamiento de San
      Juan.

      There is no doiubt this is our man (see the information from the Leon Abbey
      passenger list quoted below).

      He is still in San Juan in 1920, living in Calle San Sebastian, San Juan:
      Carmelo Jari y Nango, jefe, aged 26, mulatto, born Puerto Rico of Puerto
      Rican parents, is a ³músico, banda municipal². With him is his esposa,
      Justina Planes y Crespo, 24, and 7 year old Epifanio Nango y Figuerosa,
      primo (cousin).

      He was certainly in the U.S by August 1922, when he is a member of AFM Local
      802 reported (as Carmell Jari) in the International Musician as a traveling
      member by Local 16, Newark, NJ.

      I presume he is the Carmelo Jari aged 28 who arrived at New York City on 4
      July 1921 as 3rd cook on the S.S. San Juan. This man shipped in San Juan,
      PR, on 29 June 1921.

      So, annotate your reference books!

      Leon Abbey¹s band arrived back from Rio on the Southern Cross on 11 October
      1927. Carmelo Jari gives his date of birth as 16 July 1894, place of birth
      as Puerto Rico, and address as 116 East 116th Street, New York City. He is
      recorded as married. Other band members are: William H. Lynch, Leon A.
      Abbey, Earl Fraser, Prince Robinson, Phillip F. Blackburn, Joseph C.
      Garland, John N. Brown, Reidus Horton, Henry Edwards, Demas Dean. No doubt
      the extensive material on Abbey and Dean published in Storyville would shed
      more light on this trip and might even give a start date since Dean was a
      diary-keeper.