6088Re: [RedHotJazz] Booker T. Wingfield

    Jul 19 3:41 PM
      Wingfield¹s career is summarized in articles by Chris Smith in Names &
      Numbers 38 and 42.

      Copying sparingly: Born Jefferson (or possibly Demopolis), Alabama, 20 May
      1903, became a musician and moved to Chicago between 1920 and 1926, when he
      joined Leroy Pickett¹s Orchestra at the Chicago Apollo. Thought to have
      recorded with Elzadie Robinson, Leola B. Wilson, and Ma Rainey, September to
      November 1926, more definitely with the Parham-Pickett Apollo Syncopators in
      December (Paramount 12441), and with Cow Cow Davenport/Ivy Smith in January
      1927. Also credited with accompaniments to Ida Cox in July and August 1928.
      Came to Europe and toured with Louis Douglas¹s revue in 1929-31. He was
      admitted to a mental hospital in Torino, Italy, from where his father
      eventually collected him and returned with him to the U.S.A. from Genoa on 6
      June 1933. Lived in Greensboro, North Carolina for the remainder of his
      life, and died there 18 December 1979.