6082Re: [RedHotJazz] Johnny Dodds' birthplace

    Jul 19 2:03 AM
      Bob, where does Mississippi come from?

      Chilton¹s Who¹s Who Of Jazz does give Waverley BUT he actually says
      ³Waverley, Louisiana² (which is on U.S. 80 west of the state-line near
      Vicksburg.)

      This has been copied by Reclams Jazz Führer, but nothing else I can find.
      Panassié Dictionnaire du Jazz, Feather¹s Encyclopedia, Charters¹ Jazz New
      Orleans, Knauer¹s Jazz Lexicon, Family Album, Grove, Clergeat/Carles/Comolli
      all show New Orleans. At that point I got tired of looking.

      As it¹s from Chilton we can¹t completely dismiss it but unfortunately he
      doesn¹t say where it comes from. However, it is compatible with the census
      data showing birth in Louisiana.