6066Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Dodds with Oliver

    Jul 18, 2008
      My conclusion when I did a piece on the Dodds alternative takes for Names &
      Numbers 28 was as follows:

      Little Bits ŒE-3164¹ on Neatwork RP2012; ŒE-3165¹ on Timeless CBC1015
      These are almost certainly not real alternative takes, which may account for
      the omission of ŒE-3164¹ from the Timeless set, and the dubbing by Neatwork
      from an old Decca or MCA issue with howling echo. (If anyone thinks they can
      hear a difference, perhaps they will report.)
      This does not of course prove that there may not be a real alternative take
      extant. The Oriole 1000 Series listing in Storyville 6 claims E-3164 on
      Oriole 1008. In Storyville 62, Dolf Rerink reported a copy of Vocalion 1035
      showing Œ64¹ in the wax and that this was aurally different from the dubbing
      on Biltmore 1088. For the moment I cannot resolve this and do not have two
      takes which sound distinct to me.

      No reports have been received to amplify or clarify this.

      I would add that long experience (aided no doubt by advancing age,
      cantakerousness, and probably arrogance and indifference to other people¹s
      opinions) have made me deeply suspicious of people who assure one that takes
      sound distinct unless they actually tell you what the distinctions are. I
      have never knowingly heard the Biltmore dub but I have heard quite enough
      dubbings to know that they can easily sound distinct as a result of the
      dubbing process while actually being musically identical. As for relying on
      timings, well I lost that degree of faith in record companies, not to
      mention the domestic tape recorders used in many collector issues, long
      before the advancing age, etc. kicked in!

      If anyone wants to know, here are identifying differences for Struggling:

      Struggling E-3166 & E-3167 on Timeless CBC1015
      First washboard break:
      E-3166 12 raps.
      E-3167 10 raps, falling into a distinct 4 + 6 pattern.

      So you can be sure these really are different and don¹t just ³sound
      distinct² to someone.