6048Re: [RedHotJazz] Dodds with Oliver

    Jul 17, 2008
      Oh come on!

      These weren¹t proposed as Olivers even in the days when people with records
      to sell labelled any unknown trumpeter King Oliver. There¹s a long list of
      them in the original Walter Allen-Brian Rust King Oliver book.

      And the date is really 16 September, the day before. Traditionally the
      trumpet is attributed to Natty Dominique but Rust 4 onwards say ³unknown
      (not Natty Dominique)². No idea why.

      The only publication of the John Dodds II recollections in bibliographies is
      the notes to ŒChicago Mess Around¹, Milestone MLP2011 (1969). I imagine
      these are what this web-site has copied.