5573Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: New member -

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Jun 9, 2008
      I know of Dorsey's trumpet via his recordings of "It's Right Here For You","You Can't Cheat
      a Cheater" and "Tiger Rag" on OKeh.I had the original Decca 78 of "Eccentric" that featur-
      ed Jimmy Dorsey on trumpet as well as an LP reissue of Tommy Dorsey playing trumpet
      on "Back to Back" from 1939 on Victor.The only other recording of Goodman playing corn-
      et was his 1928 Brunswick recording of "Jungle Blues";I first heard that recording some th-
      irty years ago on an early '40s reissue on Brunswick.I could never tell if it was Goodman
      on cornet or Jimmy McPartland.I had the latter on a circa 1973 MCA LP called "A Jazz H-
      oliday" which featured Goodman and Jack Teagarden.I felt Tommy Dorsey's tone on trum-
      pet shaky:it reminded me of my trumpet playing after I had playing trombone or the reeds.
      I was fine on trumpet when I wasn't doubling.In fact,when I was in college in Coos Bay,Or-
      egon in the early '70s as a music major,this trumpeter,Carlton MacBeth,came here to do
      a clinic as he was promoting a trumpet method originated by one Louis Maggio back in
      the '30s.It was a "no pressure" type of embouchure.Maggio had his chops shredded and
      some of his teeth knocked out while he was at a train station in St. Paul,Minnesota in
      1919.That accident,which could have destroyed his  career,caused him to approach blo-
      wing cornet in a whole new way which was to place the mouthpiece 2/3 on your upper
      lip.You had to keep your jaws forward.It worked but MacBeth told me to stop doubling the
      trombone.I've never seen professional trumpeters double like I did the reed men I knew
      like Skeets Herfurt,Frank Trumbauer,et al.The Maggio system did give you a fatter sound
      and a five octave range.Satchmo could have benefitted from this method.I still use it and
      I still double the saxophones and clarinet.I can tell you a few stories of my "class clown"
      days in high school which I could pay an octave below the written parts when I was a tu-
      ba player.At any rate,thanks for the info.As of late,I had open heart surgery and I had to
      quit playing but I was given the go-ahead by my cardiologist.I spend some time writing
      movie reviews for the NNDB website.