5343RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: First String Bass On Record was Steve Brown or Arnold Loyocano?

    Apr 1, 2008
      Coming back for a moment to the question of early string bass recordings, I've searched my own holdings and discovered that there were ragtime recordings with audible string bass, albeit bowed, e.g. Joan Sawyer's Persian Garden Orchestra, recorded in May 1914 by Columbia or Ciro's Coon Club Orchestra, recorded by Columbia in London in 1916. While not jazz, these recordings do illustrate that it was possible to record string bass, at least bowed well before the NORK recordings. The two samples I mention are on the Timeless "Ragtime to Jazz Vol. 4" and there is another track by Ciro on Volume 3. The complete output of both bands is probably on Document, which I have not heard. Since New Orleans bassists usually bowed part of the time, they should be audible on the NORK recordings, unless Gennett in 1922 was that much worse at recording than Columbia in 1922/3.

      In 5 Schritten zur eigenen Homepage. Jetzt Domain sichern und gestalten!
      Nur 3,99 EUR/Monat! http://www.maildomain.web.de/?mc=021114
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic