5198Re: [RedHotJazz] Bechet & Bir

  • Nick Dellow
    Jan 29, 2008
      Not only did Parker meet Bechet at the International Jazz Festival held in
      Paris but they also jammed together on the aptly named "Farewell Blues"
      finale of May 15th 1949. Miles Davis and Don Byas were also present - what a
      line up! The results are interesting if rather messy in the usual jam
      session way; both Bechet and Parker solo of course.

      I also have an acetate recording from the festival in which Parker is
      interviewed and talks about Bechet. He doesn't say anything earth
      shattering, but states that there is room for both traditional and bop in
      the jazz world. Pity the fans didn't agree!

      There is a nice photo of Bechet and Parker together on the same bus, taken
      at this time.

      Nick