5161Re: [RedHotJazz] Mike McKendrick (was: Tiny Parham)

    Dec 29, 2007
      What instrument was he playing?

      Richard Michael played trombone, Daniel Michael was a fiddler, and James
      Michael played piano.

      Neither of the guitarists (Reuben Michael and Gilbert Michael) is known to
      have been in Europe after the war as far as I can see. Nor did this gig come
      to light in my researches into Marie Bryant in Britain (published in Names &
      Numbers 35).

      She toured extensively with pianist Mike McKenzie (Oscar Grenville McKenzie,
      born in Guyana,1922) certainly including a gig in Birmingham in late 1952,
      so I wonder whether your memory is playing tricks with the name!

      on 29/12/07 10:39, Robert Smith at robert.smith@... wrote:

      I was at a concert given by one of the five McKendrick brothers together
      with Marie Bryant at the Civic Institute in Birmingham, England, sometime in
      the 1950's.
      Not realising that there was more than one "Mike", I'm now wondering which
      of the brothers I heard at the concert.
      Does anyone know?

      Bob Smith