5077F.W. McGee

  • Ingemar Wågerman
    Dec 6 6:40 AM
      Victor 38596 "Everybody don´t know" with Rev. F.W. McGee was recorded 15 April 1930. According to the liner notes of the Document BDCD-6032 the cornet (or trumpet?) player is possibly Henry "Red" Allen. He recorded for Victor in 1930, but as far as I know there is no certain proof that he played with Rev. McGee.

      The sermon ends with a short version of "Everybody don´t know who Jesus is", which was recorded by Paul Barbarin in 1951. McGee does not include the second theme (chorus) "He´s the Lily of the Valley". The origin of this theme is uncertain. The tune is called a "Wartime favorite" in the liner notes of GHB LP 139 (Don Albert - Louis Cotrell...), so it must have been well-known before Barbarin recorded it, but obviously there are no recordings of this tune between 1930 and 1951. Any suggestions?

      We recorded a medley with three different "liles of the valley" tunes on our latest CD.

      Ingemar Wågerman
      Gota River Jazzmen
      Göteborg, Sweden
      http://listen.to/gotariver