4917Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Charlie Segar

    Nov 2, 2007
      Charlie Segar, "Keyboard Wizard Supreme", made four issued sides for Decca
      in 1934/5 and four for OKeh in 1940. They can all be heard on the CD 'Piano
      Blues-Volume 2', Document DOCD5220.

      I had completely forgotten that I wrote the notes and that I found a Paul
      Oliver interview with Billie Pierce in which she recalled Segar as coming
      from her own hometown, Pensacola, Florida, and said that in his act he
      played trumpet and piano simultaneously, and blindfolded. On record he only
      plays piano.

      Hadda Brooks is great. I'm always surprised more fuss is not made about her.
      There's a wonderful collection of her boogies on an Ace CD (CDCHM889,
      Swingin' The Boogie).

      on 2/11/07 21:02, Dan Van Landingham at danvanlandingham@... wrote:

      I never heard of Charlie Segar,but I had a few Capitol 78s of Nellie
      Lutcher.She was good.She
      was part of the rhythm and blues scene of the forties.Her contemporaries
      were Hadda Broo-
      ks and Julia Lee who was also a Capitol artist.Brooks recorded for a label
      called "Modern" in
      the early fifties.I liked Lutcher better than Lee.