4911Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Louis Armstorng later recordings

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Nov 1, 2007
      Do you have the Verve album that Armstrong cut with Fitzgerald in the fifties?I had it but that was a couple of years ago.I found it at a garage sale;I didn't know that Armstrong ever recorded for Verve.I have some of the stuff Fitzgerald recorded for Verve.

      Olivier Douville <douvilleolivier@...> wrote:
      That's a surprise for sure. 1947 Boston concert, 1950 New-Orleans Function,
      After : The Good Book and plenty of concerts and a wonderfull Musical
      Autobiography, Last records : Louis Armstrong and Friends (RCA VICTOR).
      Plenty of good musicians too : Jack Teagarde, Barney Bigard, Cozy Cole, Earl
      Hines, Sid Cattlet, divers orchestras arranged bye SY Oliver and last but
      not least the team he made with Ella.

      By the way i would like to know more 'bout the pianist Charlie Segar (born ?
      dead ? ) and i'll be pleased to get photographs of him, and i was wondering
      if Mr Jay Mc Shann was still alirve or not.

      Thanks
      HAve a nice day
      O.D.
      le 31/10/07 23:45, Cassandra à cassytn@... a écrit :

      I've heard it said (don't know if I believe it or not) that Armstrong
      didn't actually play on any recordings after 1946.. That the only time
      he played after that was on film and live... I.E. The Five Pennies.

      Cassandra
      A Child of The Swampers.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      Dan Van Landingham
      <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

      > For what it's worth,I tended to stay away from the recordings
      Armstrong made later on in his career.All of those "All Stars"
      recordings,beginning with those cut at RCA in 1946-47,left me
      cold.This is where I sided with those critics who favoured the
      recordings he cut for OKeh thr-
      > ough 1931.There were a few sides Armstrong cut for RCA in 1933
      that were quite good but
      > his twelve year output for Decca(1935-47)yielded recordings that
      were of little consequence
      > save his 1938 recording on Decca of "Struttin' WIth Some Barbeque"
      and "Savoy Blues" which were,of course,updated big band manifestations
      of the things he recorded in the '20s
      > for OKeh.I also had a couple of 45 rpm recordings he did for
      Columbia in the '50s("Back O'T-