4904Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Louis Armstrong later recordings

    Nov 1, 2007
      "The Formula For Love" was recorded in Copenhagen on 26 January 1959 by the
      All Stars with the Van Pallandts. It's been reissued on several German CDs,
      which I assume are devoted to N&F, and also on Jazz & Jazz CDJJ626, which is
      from the Italian Green Line outfit and (was) widely distributed. Long ago it
      was Pye-International N25043.

      It actually was recorded in connection with a film called Kaerlighedens
      Melodi, which certainly has been available on video.

      The ultimate Armstrong curiosity is Onkel Satchmo's Lullaby (May 1959), on
      which he duets, and plays trumpet, with a poisonous moppet called Gabriele
      Clonisch, who was I think an Austrian kiddie-pop star. This also has a film
      connection (La Paloma), and is also on the Jazz & Jazz CD, and a lot of
      other CDs including Bear Family BCD16488 which I suspect is devoted to
      Gabriele (and the stuff of nightmares). No one but Louis could have carried
      this off and it sounds as though he's having a ball.

      The Nina & Fred I would love to hear. Where is it Howard ?