4898Re: [RedHotJazz] Rust's books

  • Nick Dellow
    Nov 1, 2007
      I won't list all the negative points of the current edition of Jazz and
      Ragtime Records, as these have been outlined here and elsewhere over and
      over again. I for one prefer to stick with both the 1969 edition and the
      revised 1978 edition.

      But I would like to say something...

      When Brian came up with the original idea of Jazz Records, he risked almost
      everything to see that it came to fruition. He left the BBC, akin to
      leaving a cosy job at the civil service, and great credit to his wife Mary
      who supported - and indeed encouraged him - in his decision at a time when
      they had a young family with all the financial responsibilities that
      entails. The amount of research that Brian conducted and coordinated - with
      the help of many collectors and musicians - was phenomenal, and the
      subsequent publication of Jazz Records was an unequivocal success in almost
      all respects.

      Perhaps most importantly, it laid a firm foundation for further research and
      dissemination of information, so it is indeed a shame that the current
      edition does not continue in this way. Having said that, all thanks to Brian
      for his determination and sheer hard work in getting that huge ball rolling.

      Nick