4771Re: Earliest jazz in Europe

  • yarel41
    Sep 28, 2007

      > As regards the accuracy of Irene Castle's memories (though dates are
      > different of course) she believed that they returned to the U.S. in
      May
      > 1912, partly no doubt because she also believed they had sailed
      shortly
      > after the sinking of the Titanic.
      >
      > In fact, Vernon and Eva Irene Castle appear on the passenger list
      of the
      > S.S. Minnewaska sailing from London to New York City on 15 July
      1911. This
      > makes their stay in Paris much shorter than it had become in
      Irene's memory.
      > She was 19, away from home, and having a ball with someone she
      loved. Been
      > there, done that!

      > howard@...
      > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

      Thank you Howard for the informations.

      According to this, there is, as you say, not much correctly
      remembered. If there was any time at all for dancing with success
      in Paris, there might be at least some notes in the newspapers.
      She says they had to go home because of her fathers death in may.

      There is a book "My husband" from 1918, I havenĀ“t seen.
      But perhaps she does not mention the Paris time there.

      Besides she was only 18 at that time, born april -93.

      yarel 41
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic