4765Re: [RedHotJazz] Earliest jazz in Europe

    Sep 27, 2007
      > Any better suggestion from our French folk?

      Don't know really, and I could have asked the same question as well. I have
      no precise knowledge and I suffer from terrible chronological confusions,
      but I wonder if most of the "jazz" elements which can be heard in Satie,
      Ravel, or Debussy were not simply borrowed from classical Ragtime scores.
      This raises the other question about ragtime not being really jazz yet, and
      where could some expressionnist features or ambiguous notes come from... I
      read that Henry Henry Lane (Master Juba) toured Europe around the middle of
      the XIXth century, isn't it possible for the memory of occasional minstrel
      shows, probably carrying non-written African-American features, to have
      become part of an actual tradition in European show-business long before
      American records or bands could be heard? Or even - although I confess I
      never studied the example provided by Eileen Southern - pre-jazz elements in
      the work of American composers who seem to have borrowed a lot from folk
      sources?